For the result of an increased emphasis on a knowledge-based economy, many organizations keep realizing that their people and information resources are critical to survive and succeed. Human Resource or manpower development is thus vital and many organizations are utilizing information technology in Human Resource Management (HRM) also known as ‘Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS)’, to gain a competitive edge. A HRIS is basically an intersection of human resources and information technology through HR software. This allows HR activities and processes to occur electronically. To put it another way, a HRIS may be viewed as a way, through software, for businesses big and small to take care of a number of activities, including those related to human resources, accounting, management, and payroll. A HRIS allows a company to plan its HR costs more effectively, as well as to manage them and control them without needing to allocate too many resources toward them.
HRIS Applications and its Benefits:
HRIS software can maintain the core features of HRM such as Employee record-keeping, Payroll, Benefits management, Training and Development, Performance appraisal, Compensation management, Turnover tracking and analysis, Career development, Recruitment/selection, Succession planning.
The benefits enjoyed by using HRIS are beyond expectation. Some major benefits are: creation of greater employee engagementthrough self-service options, Open enrollment benefit, Employee empowerment, Improved collaboration throughout organizations, Improved training capabilities, Optimized scheduling, Payroll and reduced employee information errors and so on.
Some Local HRIS Software of Bangladesh:
The practices of HRIS in private sector enterprises in Bangladesh are gradually increasing. Many big and even medium organizations are showing their interest and implementing HR Software to manage the humans of the company. Some popular local HRIS Software in Bangladesh are:
1. Lines Pay: This HR and Payroll software service provider in Bangladesh is the professional platform for small-medium and enterprise businesses. They focus to serve a modern and updated payroll management system that is focused on user experience and simplifying complex workflows. The software can run independently on any platform. Many business companies maintain several sections to management HRM data, but they provide an all-in-one solution. The software provides some other services like salary report, loan report, deduction, allowance and other things in an easier way.
2. Jibika Plexus: Jibika plexus is one of the popularHR and Payroll management software services in Bangladesh. They provide a smart management solution for the HR and Payroll software field. Jibika Plexus has some amazing features that are very helpful for the management of a company. These include: reliable and flexible face detection attendance system, mobile and PC usage, multi-layer leave, evaluation, confirmation system, employee evaluation system, auto-generated promotion letter, increment letter, unlimited adding facilities. Attendance and monthly salary processes, multiple general shifts and up to three-shift roster etc.
3. Zaman IT: This
Company provides a HR and Payroll software called “Smart Pay”. The software Zaman
IT provides is a sound HR and Payroll software and is user-friendly. The software
can be accessed from anywhere with unlimited user access. The services provided
include: Provident fund to show
check balance, withdrawals, check statements, PF deposits, and PF loan, Salary report for allowance sheet, pay-slip,
bank sheet, loan sheet, and deduction sheet. Along with these services, their
software provide an organized report on Allowance,
Leave history, Attendance, employee information, Setup, Company information.
4. Gent IT: Gent ITs’ HR and Payroll software features are the solutions of simple resource management and payroll processing is easy to use along with the rich package. The features provided are: Attendance/leave management, project Management, Expense and Asset management, Payroll management, loan management, training management and many other features that are related to payroll software.
5. Roopokar: Roopokar is the good example of HR and Payroll software in Bangladesh. They have developed some features of HR and Payroll services. Their services are Employee portal, announcement section, leave schedule handling, office shift handling, holiday module, corporate scorebook, all report charts, security and so on. Other features are: it’s easily accessible and user-friendly, availability of Bengali language, offline and online working facilities, fast data connection and data backup system, strong and sufficient data, availability of customization.
Cost to Implement HRIS Software:
The cost to implement HRIS software varies on some factors. Depending on features wanted by the user, size of the organization and number of employees the price vary. Mr. Zaman Khan who is the Chairman of Zaman IT informed me that to get some basic HR services for an organization of 500- 1000 employees, it will cost approximately BDT 3,00,000 – 4,00,000. To get the same service for 7000-10000 employee organization, it will cost approximately BDT 12,00,000 – 15,00,000. The price gets a bit higher if the software is made customized which totally makes sense. Some of the companies provide the chance to customize the HRIS Software as per requirements. For example, Softwind Tech provides the option of customization to make it more convenient for each organization.
HRIS initiatives have been worldly accepted as the best chance for improvement in any organization to accommodate the increasing demand and supply of fundamental services or banking services in both the developed and developing countries. Developed nations have already invested and continue to invest a considerable amount of resources in continuing the implementation of HRIS to improve the efficiency of services. Despite the possible benefits of HRIS, its adoption remains a big challenge in developing countries (Ginzberg, 1981), especially in Bangladesh. In a research conducted on 104 respondents of 25 private organizations in Bangladesh, 52.88 percent respondents have reported moderate level of HRIS practices in their organizations relative to higher level of HRIS practices reported by 47.16 percent respondents (Karim & Rahman, 2018). Thus, the study reveals that the practices of HRIS in private enterprises in Bangladesh are moderate. Although 85 percent respondents have mentioned that their organizations make important strategic decisions by using HRIS, they still require improvements in HRIS practices to gain competitive advantage. 93.26% respondents believed that HRIS is important for both public and private firms to gain competitiveness. Ensuring a regular use of HRIS will lead to increases in efficiency when it comes to making decisions in HR. The decisions made will also increase in quality and as a result, the productivity of both employees and managers will increase and become more effective.
The author is the HR Intern at Southeast Bank Limited and a grad student of North South University.
- UoL degrees with London School of Economics’ academic direction, now at Universal College Bangladesh! - October 28, 2022
- ক্ষুদ্র ও মাঝারি অনলাইন উদ্যোক্তাদের ব্যবসা বিকাশে ভূমিকা রাখবে ওএনডিসি - October 23, 2022
- বাণিজ্য মন্ত্রণালয়ে চতুর্থ শিল্পবিপ্লবের চ্যালেঞ্জ মোকাবিলায় কর্মপরিকল্পনা প্রণয়ন বিষয়ক কর্মশালা - October 12, 2022